January 21, 2012

Rocking chair reupholstery re-do


I know, it's a little early to start planning new-house decor! But, I was inspired by two of my favorite home-decor sites, Young House Love and Design*Sponge, to revamp of a favorite old rocking chair. Well, I didn't exactly undertake the reupholstery myself. While I have been known to paint a chair or coffee table or two, reupholstery of this size was a little out of my league.

The rocking chair originally belonged to my grandparents. For the past 10 years or so it's been used as a clothes-rack in my parents' bedroom, so when I asked for it, my mom willingly gave it to me with one caveat - that it doesn't end up on Craigslist!

The chair itself was in great shape (can't beat that old-school craftsmanship and solid oak wood). But, the fabric was outdated. I found a more modern fabric (for only $7/yard), and found a local Denver upholstery duo to fix it up. It only took them about two days (and cost me $240) to complete the project.



What do you think? I probably could have bought a new chair, but there really isn't anything like this out there anymore. I think it was worth the money to be able to keep a family heirloom but modernize it with my style. I have lots of grey and white furniture and decor that I plan on continuing in the new house, so it will fit in perfectly!



Now if I can only keep Bling from scratching it...

2 comments:

  1. I heart the chevron fabric! Looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, awesome job! looks so much more updated :) good luck keeping your cat from scratching it! We have a chair that has become the scratching post and I want to recover it because it looks hideous now, but I'm afraid our cats will just scratch it to death again!

    nice job on that chair

    ~Lisha

    ReplyDelete