January 03, 2012

A big resolution: Buy a house

Hi, I'm Tracy. I am officially on the road to my 2012 New Year's resolution: become a first-time home buyer! Don't worry, this definitely wasn't a resolution based on a whim. My boyfriend Max and I have been living together for about a year and feel the time is right financially and emotionally to jump into the home ownership club -- we've been saving like crazy and doing our research.

Wikimedia Commons/Linuxerist

A few things about us: 
*We've been together for three years (we met at work) and we're both in our late-20s.
*We live in Denver. I work in digital media and he works in marketing.
*Currently we live in a 600-sq. ft apartment with our dog Winnie and cat Bling

Our home wishlist:
*Under $200K. We think we know our budget but will get the final number after pre-qualifying.
*Three bedrooms. We would like a bedroom, an office and a spare room for spare people!
*Two bathrooms. Or, at least one large bathroom with two sinks. It's hard to get ready simultaneously!
*A garage. Doesn't matter if it's one or two car, attached or unattached. We need some storage and a place to put at least one of our three cars or the jet ski.
*Charm! This is a little subjective, but I would love a home with a few quirks! We're not planning on buying anything new (the neighborhoods we are looking in are older) so I know we're going to get something great, like original wood floors, built-in bookcases, or arched doorways!

I hope you'll learn along with us during this exciting process. Good luck with your own resolutions, and happy 2012!

1 comment: