April 27, 2014

How I used a Google Drive spreadsheet to plan a wedding

Using a Google Drive spreadsheet to plan your wedding is key to staying organized. You can have one document with all necessary information, share the document with your fiancee, parents and wedding planner, and be able to access it at work or on the go. Here’s how I used a Google Drive spreadsheet to plan a wedding.




I created a new document by opening Google Drive, clicking on Create and then clicking on Spreadsheet. Re-name your document at the top so you know how to find it. I created and named tabs along the bottom of the spreadsheet to correspond with various aspects of planning. Here’s how I organized each tab:


Guest List
Here’s where I kept the names and addresses/email addresses of all guests, and who they were (bride’s family, groom’s family, friends, family friends, coworkers, etc). I color-coded each one according to whether they had RSVPed, if they were a yes or no, and what entree they chose.


Seating Chart
I used each column as one table, and started listing people under each table number as they RSVPed. This way, you can cut/paste names around until you get the right configuration.


Money
This is where I kept track of how much money had been spent/ I had columns for who paid each bill, as well as how (card or check)  and when we paid vendors. This is also a good place to keep track of your deposits and how much is left to pay for each item.


Venue
In this tab, I put the venue/hotel contact info and any information related, such as room block information. I also kept a running day-of itinerary under this tab, from 7 am wake up to midnight lights out! My wedding was all at one venue, so that helped.


Ceremony
Here’s where I would paste quotes I found/liked for the ceremony, as well as our officiant’s contact information. You can also keep a basic outline of the ceremony and the copy needed for programs, if needed.


Cake
You can list all the bakeries and quotes you get here. Then, once you have selected one, you already have the contact information and budget. Eventually, you’ll want to add your cake tasting schedule and what flavors you end up choosing and how much cake to order!


Photography
Similar to the cake tab, I kept a list of all photographers I contacted until we chose the one! I kept our photographer’s contact information in this tab, as well as a list of locations to take photos. I also wrote out all the necessary combinations of family members to group together for photos. That way our photographer knew who to gather up at the right time.


Music
Here’s where you can keep track of the songs you want for walking down the aisle, back up the aisle, your first dance, father/daughter dance, etc. I also kept a list of general songs I liked and wanted the DJ to have on hand.


Invitations
I used Paperless Post, so I didn’t need a lot of information here, but I did keep track of the login/password for the site, as well as links to different invitation designs on the site and wording.


Read about the rest of the tabs on Yahoo Voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment